The MHAO site is always being updated to improve the visitors experience and encourage them to continue coming back to see all the new art and makes it easy to purchase online or find a local show to see artists work locally. The website was rebuilt from January - April 2018 and official re-launched April 29th 2018.
New Artist Registration Application
All interested artists are asked to complete the New Artist Registration Application which in addition to a few key questions, asks for the first five examples of your work that you would like to display on your personal gallery if you are accepted. Once you submit your application, it will go to the members of the Mt. Hood Art Online Selection Committee who will review your information and artwork to determine if you are a good fit to the Mt Hood Art Online Gallery. You will be notified of their decision and the next steps will be explained during your new artists orientation if you are accepted.
Benefits For Mt. Hood Art Online Artist
- We will build you your own online gallery within MHAO. Your work will also be featured on multiple other pages and on our social media sites like Facebook and Instagram.
- Your artwork will be exposed to a very large audience and while we can not guarantee the sale of your art, we can leverage our network of art lovers to improve the likeliness of sales.
- You will get access to our corporate business account at Moo.com where you can create beautiful business cards featuring as many images of your art as you like for one low price.
- Customers will have the convenience of purchasing your art by using either a credit card or PayPal.
How Does Your Art Get On The Site
- We will need specifics like your cost for an original, for a print, framed, unframed, dimentions, weight, etc. You will complete an Art Submission Form for each piece of art in your gallery.
- Same for photography, and 3D works…we need all the specifics!
We work at marketing our site daily through Search Engine Optimization (SEO), blogs, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Linked In and our customer e-newsletter (now over 500 subscribers). If you are interested in presenting your process of making art in a short well made video, we will be happy to post that on our website and social media.
Pricing Your Artwork
Don’t under price your art! Check with several sources to get an idea of value. On the other hand, if you want to move your art don't overprice!
- You will be responsible for shipping and insuring your artwork (originals, Giclee, or artists signed prints). *All sales are final on these pieces.
- All other prints ordered on the website will be printed and shipped through our Print On Demand company. *14 day return policy handled by the POD company if items are damaged or unsatisfactory.
- Customers will be able to use a shopping cart on the site and they can pay using PayPal, debit, or credit card.
It is currently $50 to join MHAO which is a 1x gallery setup fee that gets you:
-A personal artist page on the site as well as being added to the corresponding collections that match your medium.
-Opportunity to be in all of our group shows throughout the local area surrounding Mt Hood.
-A feature on the homepage of the website for your first month.
-A promotion to our 500+ email newsletter subscribers growing by about 10% per month.
-A paid promotion on our Facebook page (reach of over 1000 viewers).
-Free download of the book “How to sell your art online” by Cory Huff
-20% discount to “I’ve been framed” in Portland (Extensive locally owned art supply shop)
-You can add up to 11 images in the first 30 days for no additional cost.
Our most popular membership plan is the "Complete gallery" plan where artists start with 11 images of their work and get 5 additions/changes to their gallery every month.
Contact us if you want details on the "Minimalist Gallery" option for only $10 per month or the "Expansion Gallery" for $15 per month.
While most brick and mortar galleries as well as big name online galleries require a 40-50% commission on artists original works, we at MHAO strive to keep our fees and commissions low so that the artists are paid what they are worth for the beautiful pieces of art they spend countless hours creating.
MHAO History and Future
Mt Hood Art Online (MHAO), like all great things, was born out of necessity. Caryn Tilton, the founder of the site came up with the idea when taking a class by Beth Verheyden, the current president of the Watercolor Society of Oregon. She discovered many of her fellow classmates were fantastic artists but they all needed a little help marketing their work online. Caryn used her years as an entrepreneur and her expertise as a website developer to build an online gallery for her and her fellow artists to show and sell their work.
Fast-forward to 2017, Caryn found herself running a thriving website with 25 artists while also trying to keep up with her large family, newly retired husband, and caring for her mother. She was ready to retire and made it known in the community that she was looking for someone to take over and continue to grow it.
Colleen Chesbrough is a local Investment Advisory Representative who originally attended Portland State University as an art major. Experienced running an art gallery, she’s worked in sales and marketing for over 15 years. Following her dreams to one day own a gallery, Colleen gladly accepted the opportunity to take over what is fondly now known as MHAO.
With a strong foundation already built it hasn’t taken long for Colleen and her webmaster fiancé to update the website bringing it into the ecommerce world of sales. The site is capable of featuring a larger number of artists, taking all payment types, and offering print on demand (POD) prints of artists work in a variety of styles and prices. These changes have taken the gallery out of the small-town market and placed it on the same level as the major online marketplaces.
MHAO brings the national online gallery platform to the local artist and art patron and is eager to be part of bringing local art to the national market.